Does your current morning routine consist of hitting the snooze button four times and walking out the door five minutes later as you put on your shoes and eat a protein bar, all while checking email on your phone?
From that point on, our entire day can feel like we’re always trying to rush and catch up, never really feeling on top of our game or very productive.
We can do better! Many of us are busy, have a lot of responsibilities and obligations, and often feel strapped for time. Having a great morning routine can make all the difference in being productive, achieving goals, feeling organised, and doing all of this with confidence.
Let’s take an ordinary day in your life when nothing feels particularly terrible or wonderful.
- You wake up and… How do you greet this day?
- Is this a perfect day or 24 hours of hassle?
- Is your life a precious gift or are you just struggling to survive?
Believe it or not, you can choose the quality of your experiences: it’s not what happens to you that counts but rather how you deal with what happens to you.
“What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it.”
The morning routine sets the tone of your day. No matter how shitty yesterday was or how much you have to do today, the morning ritual is your daily constant— your totally 100% selfish ritual. It’s the time that you allocate towards yourself, every day, no matter what. It keeps you sane.
I never realised the importance of having a morning ritual until a few years ago. While doing some research, I came across a couple of videos by Pick Up Limes’ ‘Becoming a Morning Person‘ and ‘Healthy Morning Habits‘.
Getting inspired by others is always good a good start, but what’s important to remember is that it’s all very individual and personal.
My current morning routine is:
- I wake up between 5-6 AM (depending on how I feel)
- I mindfully drink a cup of tea while looking at and listening to the waves
- A yoga session
- A morning stroll along the beach while listening to an audiobook
- I do some journaling
- I listen to an inspirational podcast or watch something inspiring
- I plan and visualise my day
- I indulge in a healthy and nourishing breakfast
Your morning routine should evolve and change. If something isn’t working, change it. Don’t latch on just because someone else is doing it.
Build your own morning ritual
So, here’s how you get started – pick 4 habits (from the list below) and start them tomorrow. Yes, just 4. You can add more in later, but it’s best to start small. Pick the ones that resonate with you the most. Do them every morning immediately after you wake up for the next 30 days.
Morning Habits suggestions
- Wake up earlier than you would normally do
- Drink a tall glass of water as soon as you get out of bed (keep a glass of water on your night table so when you wake up, simply grab it and drink it)
- Make your bed immediately
- Do some exercise; Yoga, running etc.
- Eat a protein and fat-rich breakfast within 1 hour of getting up – don’t forget your vitamins
- Floss after breakfast
- Do some journaling
- Do some meditation
- Plan your entire day in 15-60 minute increments
- Put out your clothes for the day
- Dress your absolute best for the day (EVEN if you work from home)
- Take your multivitamins every day
Now it’s your turn; How do you start your day?
*Don’t forget to download my #FREE Lifestyle APP Live a Well-Designed Life