Creating a compelling vision of the life you want is actually one of the most effective strategies for achieving the life of your dreams. Perhaps the best way to look at the concept of a life vision is as a compass to help guide you to take the best actions and make the right choices that help propel you toward your best life.
One of my all-time favourite questions is this: What is your life vision? It’s one of the most important questions we can ask ourselves. And yet it’s also one we spend the least amount of time contemplating.
How can that be? After all, this is our one and only life – well, in this lifetime anyway. How is it that we spend so little time envisioning how we want to live it? The easy answer is that we’re busy. Caught up in daily demands and our never-ending to-do lists. Frantically trying to navigate our way through the days and weeks unscathed and unbroken. Just trying to get through it all.
By having a vision in mind, you are more likely to succeed far beyond what you could otherwise achieve without a clear vision. Think of crafting your life vision as mapping a path to your personal and professional dreams. This being said; don’t expect a clear and well-defined vision overnight – envisioning your life and determining the course you will follow requires time and reflection. You need to cultivate vision and perspective, and you also need to apply logic and planning for the practical application of your vision.
What Do You Want?
The question sounds deceptively simple, but it’s often the most difficult to answer. It’s helpful to ask some thought-provoking questions to help you discover the possibilities of what you want out of life. Consider every aspect of your life. Contemplate all the important areas, family and friends, career and success, health and quality of life, spiritual connection and personal growth, and don’t forget about fun and enjoyment.
Some tips to guide you:
- Think about what you want, not about what you don’t want
- Give yourself permission to dream
- Be creative. Consider ideas that you never thought possible
- Focus on your wishes, not what others expect of you
- Remember to ask why you want certain things
Some questions to start your exploration:
- What really matters to you in life? Not what should matter, what does matter
- What would you like to have more of in your life?
- Set aside money for a moment; what do you want in your career?
- What are your secret passions and dreams?
- What would bring more joy and happiness into your life?
- What do you want your relationships to be like?
- What qualities would you like to develop?
- What are your values? What issues do you care about?
- What are your talents? What’s special about you?
- What would you most like to accomplish?
- What would legacy would you like to leave behind?
It may be helpful to write your thoughts down in a journal or creative vision board if you’re the creative type. Add your own questions, and ask others what they want out of life. Relax and make this exercise fun. You may want to set your answers aside for a while and come back to them later to see if any have changed or if you have anything to add.
*Do connect with me on Instagram at @KiranSinghUK for behind the scenes, daily updates, inspiration and more!