Minimalism is a design and lifestyle movement that emphasises simplicity, functionality, and reducing excess. Here are some basic principles to get started with minimalism:
- Start with a clean slate: To begin practising minimalism, start by decluttering your home, office or living space. Get rid of everything you don’t need, use, or love.
- Embrace simplicity: Once you’ve decluttered, focus on incorporating simplicity into your life. This could mean simplifying your wardrobe, your daily routine, or your schedule.
- Function over form: Minimalism prioritises function over form. This means that when choosing items for your home, focus on their practicality and usefulness rather than their aesthetic appeal.
- Quality over quantity: Minimalism also values quality over quantity. Instead of buying multiple cheap items, invest in high-quality items that will last longer and serve you better in the long run.
- Mindful consumption: In practising minimalism, it’s important to be mindful of what you consume. This includes not only physical items, but also the media you consume, the food you eat, and the energy you expend.
- Focus on experiences: Minimalism encourages focusing on experiences rather than material possessions. This means prioritising experiences like travel, spending time with loved ones, and pursuing hobbies over accumulating more stuff.
Remember that minimalism is a personal journey, and there is no one “right” way to do it. It’s about finding what works for you and your lifestyle.