I’m a natural declutterer. I love order and simplicity and a feeling of lightness or expansiveness in my home, my days and my overall life. But I’m also a deep feeler and while I don’t care about stuff as I used to, I do care deeply about relationships, connections, and Living a Well-Designed Life.
I’ve experienced emotion around letting go many times before. For instance:
- Letting go of my Mum’s sarees after 20 years; made me realise that keeping them, would not bring her back. Yes, it took me 14 years to realise this and to gather the courage of letting them go.
- I’ve released some long-term relationships with people I truly love but are no longer healthy for me and while I never questioned that this was the right choice, it still felt hard.
- Letting go of sentimental items the love of my life gave me 23 years ago. Holding on to them would not bring him back into my life, and truth to be told, the woman I was then, she does not exist anymore – I outgrew her a decade ago.
“Letting go comes in many shapes and sizes.”
Sometimes we surrender or release in baby steps. Or in layers. This is what I’ve been doing as I slowly release the version of myself I have outgrown.
This is what I’ve been doing since turning 40, letting go of layers of wounding, self-judgement, unhealthy expectation, limiting beliefs and more and then, curate and live a life that is true to me – and live it on my terms – becoming The Woman I Want to Be.
To begin the process of letting go, start by identifying something that you’ve been thinking about letting go of. It could be a habit, a thought, a limiting belief, a dream you no longer want to strive for, a person who brings you down, an item on your to-do list, an activity, or even a job. Really, anything goes. The only rule is that it is something that you have the power to let go of – something YOU CAN CONTROL. Once you’ve identified it, ask yourself the following questions:
- Am I in the present moment, or in the past?
- Do I have the same beliefs? Are they my own or someone else’s?
- Is there more I have to learn from my past experience?
- Have I completed the lesson?
- How does the past serve me today?
Letting go, release, or surrender, is never just about the closure or the end of what was. It is about choosing life, making space for a full, messy, imperfect and beautiful today and tomorrow. It’s about turning our gaze forward and trusting that there is yet more beauty and goodness to come. Maybe you, like me, are walking away from old patterns of thoughts and behaviour that no longer serve you?
*Do connect with me on Instagram at @KiranSinghUK for behind the scenes, daily updates, inspiration and more!