If you’ve been following me, you know I am passionate about simplifying my overall life and one way I do this, is by de-cluttering. Decluttering is powerful and life-changing, to say the least, and I’ve honestly spent the last couple of years selling, giving away, donating and throwing away over half of my belongings – and believe me, when I say this; it’s an on-going process.
Spending most of 2020 in lockdown due to Covid has taught me many things, one of them was bringing awareness to how much I actually use ALL of my materialistic possessions, which, of course, was less than half – so I decided to part ways everything that was excessive in my life and didn’t serve any purpose anymore.
By doing this, I created space and time for all those things that mattered more like spending quality time with Khushi, learning new skills, working on my personal and business growth and most importantly; taking out time daily to practice slow living and simply be.
Here I share my simple rules for decluttering your life:
- Get rid of duplicates – you don’t need multiples of the same thing
- Get rid of things you haven’t used in a year – you’ll be surprised how many things you’ll be getting rid of
- Digitise nostalgic and sentimental items where possible
- Don’t keep things out of guilt – if they don’t add value to your life, let them go
- Give everything little thing a home
- Put everything back where they belong once you’re done using them
- Sell, give away, donate, upcycle or throw away – SIMPLE
- Don’t keep items you wouldn’t buy now – I literally walk around my apartment looking at my things and ask myself “If I were to buy this again, would I?” If the answer is ‘yes’, it stays, if the answer is ‘no’, it goes
- Only keep the things you love, use and need – Use the best things for yourself and now, not for other people or when that special day comes
- The more storage you have, the more you’ll fill it up – Limit your storage
- Evaluate your spending habits – this is a big one. This year, for the first time, I am aiming for at least 6 months of no-spend
Questions to help to make the de-cluttering process easier:
- Have I used this in the last year?
- If I were to buy this again, would I?
- Am I holding onto this for sentimental value?
- Do I have similar items that serve the same purpose?
- Do I have a realistic plan to use it?
- Does it fit me, my lifestyle or my home?
I hope this post ignited a spark in you to take that first towards de-cluttering and simplifying your life. Do share below what the first step will be.
*Do connect with me on Instagram at @KiranSinghUK for behind the scenes, daily updates, inspiration and more!