Take a moment to imagine your life in the future. What is the best possible life you can imagine? Consider all of the relevant areas of your life, such as your career, academic work, relationships, hobbies, and health. What would happen in these areas of your life in your best possible future?
The Best Possible Self consists of imagining your best possible self in the future, in which your life is flourishing in your overall life and then writing it down in as much detail as possible. Take a few minutes to visualise that life and write a description, in as much detail as you like, of how that life would be.
- How do you feel?
- Where do you live? What does your home look like?
- What does your wardrobe look like?
- Where do you go on vacations?
- What does your morning routine look like?
- What does your evening routine look like?
- What do you do for work? What is your career?
- What is your health and fitness routine?
- How does it feel to be in love, and to have no financial worries?
HOW TO DO THIS EXERCISE:
For the next 15 minutes, write continuously about what you imagine this best possible future to be. Use the instructions below to help guide you through this process.
- It may be easy for this exercise to lead you to examine how your current life may not match this best possible future. You may be tempted to think about ways in which accomplishing goals has been difficult for you in the past, or about financial/time/social barriers to being able to make these accomplishments happen. For the purpose of this exercise, however, we encourage you to focus on the future – imagine a brighter future in which you are your best self and your circumstances change just enough to make this best possible life happen.
- This exercise is most useful when it is very specific – if you think about a new job, imagine exactly what you would do, who you would work with, and where it would be. The more specific you are, the more engaged you will be in the exercise and the more you’ll get out of it.
- Be as creative and imaginative as you want, and don’t worry about grammar or spelling. REMEMBER: You’re only limited by your own imagination, and the effect can last for up to a week.